United States District Court, D. Nebraska
ORDER ADOPTING FINDINGS AND RECOMMENDATION AND GRANTING UNOPPOSED MOTION FOR (1) CONDITIONAL CLASS CERTIFICATION; (2) APPOINTMENT OF CLASS REPRESENTATIVE; (3) APPOINTMENT OF CLASS COUNSEL; (4) PRELIMINARY APPROVAL OF CLASS ACTION SETTLEMENT AND NOTICE TO CLASS; AND (5) SETTING OF FINAL APPROVAL HEARING
LAURIE SMITH CAMP, Chief District Judge.
WHEREAS, Plaintiff Brady Keith, on behalf of the Class, as defined below ("Plaintiff"), have entered into a settlement (the "Settlement") of the claims asserted in the above-captioned class action (the "Action") with Defendant Back Yard Burgers of Nebraska, Inc., including its affiliates ("Defendant");
WHEREAS, the "Class, " as defined in Section 2.1, of the Agreement of Settlement between Plaintiff and Defendant (the "Settlement Agreement"), consists of all persons who used a Visa, MasterCard, or Discover debit or credit card, and/or American Express credit card at any of Defendant's restaurant where Defendant provided an electronically printed receipt at the point of sale or transaction that violated FACTA's truncation requirements of that person's credit or debit card for a time period beginning November 3, 2010, until the date of the filing of the Action, April 15, 2011; and
WHEREAS, the Plaintiff has made an application, pursuant to Rule 23 of the Federal Rules of Civil Procedure, for an Order appointing class counsel and class representatives, and certifying for purposes of settlement a class of all persons who used a Visa, MasterCard, or Discover debit or credit card, and/or American Express credit card at Defendant's restaurant where the person was provided an electronically printed receipt at the point of sale or transaction that displayed the expiration date of that person's credit or debit card and/or more than five digits of that person's credit or debit card number during the period beginning November 3, 2010, to the date the Class is certified; and
WHEREAS, the Parties have made an application, pursuant to Rule 23(e) of the Federal Rules of Civil Procedure, for an Order preliminarily approving the Settlement of this Action in accordance with the Settlement Agreement; and
WHEREAS, the Court, having read and considered the Settlement Agreement and the papers filed in support of Plaintiff's Unopposed Motion for (1) Conditional Class Certification; (2) Appointment of Class Representative; (3) Appointment of Class Counsel; (4) Preliminary Approval of Class Action Settlement and Notice to Class; and (5) Setting of Final Approval Hearing and finding that substantial and sufficient grounds exist for entering this Order;
IT IS ORDERED:
1. The Findings and Recommendation (Filing No. 115) are adopted in their entirety.
2. The Unopposed Motion for Conditional Class Certification, Appointment of Class Representative, Appointment of Class Counsel, Preliminary Approval of Class Settlement And Notice to Class And Setting Of Final Approval Hearing (Filing No. 112), is granted, as follows:
3. The Court, for purposes of this Order, adopts all definitions of terms set forth in the Settlement Agreement.
4. The Unopposed Motion for Conditional Class Certification, Appointment of Class Representative, Appointment of Class Counsel, Preliminary Approval of Class Settlement and Notice to Class and Setting of Final Approval Hearing (Filing No. 112), is granted.
APPOINTMENT OF CLASS REPRESENTATIVES
5. The Court finds that Plaintiff Brady Keith will fairly and adequately protect the interests of the class pursuant to Rule 23(a)(4) of the Federal Rules of Civil Procedure and therefore appoints Plaintiff as Class Representative.
APPOINTMENT OF CLASS COUNSEL
6. The Court finds that proposed class counsel are qualified to represent the Class and therefore appoints as Class Counsel Joshua C. Dickinson and Bryant T. Lamer of the law firm of Spencer Fane Britt & Browne LLP, ...